Brainstorm connects science to society through community engagement and education. Brainstorm creates brain healthy communities through hosting and sponsoring programs and events in Newtown and the surrounding area that educate, connect, inspire and empower groups and individuals to practice and develop protective factors that foster a deep sense of compassion. Brainstorm puts into practice the lessons learned through scientific research and global partnerships building more informed, empowered and peaceful communities on a local scale.
Check out the upcoming Brainstorm Experience as we kick off the series with Life Is Good Kid’s Foundation founder, Steve Gross on January 4th:
Originally launched in 2015 as SPARK, this initiative has partnered with a number of notable organizations including. The Committee for Children, 3C Institute, Personalized Learning Games, The Life is Good Kids Foundation, NYA Sports and Fitness, Ben’s Lighthouse, Ben’s Bells, and The Resiliency Center of Newtown.
Previous and ongoing Spark projects include:
- Brain Health First Aid Training: Spark, along with The Resiliency Center of Newtown offers residents of Newtown, CT – including teachers, parents and young adults – training in Brain Health First Aid. Those who take the course receive a Brain Health First Aid certification and are trained to recognize the signs and symptoms of someone approaching or experiencing a brain health crises. The courses are offered free of charge.
- The Spark After School Program: Spark After School is designed for third through sixth graders. Our goal is to give youth a comfortable place to try new things and broaden the boundaries of their comfort zones. These programs offer culturally diverse music, arts, recreation, and fitness classes, while also teaching leadership skills, acceptance, compassion, and self-confidence.
- Life is Good Kid’s Foundation: Spark, along with a number of other local Newtown, CT. community organizations are thrilled to be partnering with the Life is Good Kid’s Foundation in an effort to spread the power of optimism to the Newton community.
- The Newtown Yoga Festival – This year, Spark is proud to be a part of The Newtown Yoga Festival on August 26 at NYA Sports Fitness. Now in its fifth year, the festival brings the community together for a day of shared yoga, mindfulness, dance, and conversation. 2017 internationally renowned yoga headliners are Todd Norian, Kathryn Templeton, Hala Khouri and Tao Porchon- Lynch.
- Click to register for the 2017 Newtown Yoga Fest
Check out some of our Spark blog posts:
Key to A Wonderful Life? Corporate Executives Incentivizing Empathy
Sandy Hook, CT: Tomorrow’s Talent Pool of Leaders with Heart
Imagine the Possibilities: Not a Tough SELL